Head of Projects
FULL TIME – 40 hours per week
Benefits include: Employee Assistance Programme, company performance bonus, BUPA Cashplan and pension
Corrigenda are one of the South’s leading facilities services company, working collaboratively with diverse clients across multiple different industries within both public and private sector. At Corrigenda we value all the people that make what we do possible. We constantly invest in training and development, finding new ways to motivate, retain and develop the best talent in the industry.
Corrigenda are looking to recruit an enthusiastic and passionate Head of Projects who will be part of the strategic management team to develop and achieve company objectives.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, this role leads the Projects Department, taking ownership of operational day:day running of the team and Corrigenda Projects to ensure a smooth and efficient delivery to our customers. In addition, this role has strategic objectives to manage, deliver and grow Corrigenda’s capital project workstream.
This role is responsible for the delivery of mechanical / electrical project works between £20,000 and £500,000 direct to clients such as NHS, Hampshire County Council, Surrey County Council, IBM, CBRE and Portsmouth City Council.
The role also has overall management responsibility for staff including project managers, estimators, admin, in house engineers and sub-contractors to deliver project works. (Circa 20 direct employees). The job is based out of the Segensworth office however you will be expected to visit sites in, but not limited to, Hampshire, Surrey and West Sussex.
Key Responsibilities Include
(but not limited to):
• Oversee the daily delivery of jobs across all project related activities to ensure client expectations and targets are met
• Prepare designs where appropriate and ensure these meet client requirements
• Provide support to Project managers and clients in terms of escalation
• Provide leadership and motivation to the Project department
• Carry out regular review meetings with Project Managers and Administrators to assess contract performance both delivery and profitability
• Work closely with Project Managers including:
o Review and update each of the Project Managers project valuations.
o Discuss any pain points / issues and advise where necessary
o Discuss impact of any contract variations, review project plans and any forecasts amendments
o Development of project plans with the PMs
o Review / amend project plan in consideration to any variations / changes
o If site visits are required with PM schedule accordingly
o Project completion review – undertake wash up meeting about each project, capture summarised performance. Ensure any relevant points for the estimators are fed back
o Ensure efficient demonstration / commissioning and handover with O&M’s
• Attend project review meetings as required with clients to support Project Managers
• Identify potential supply chain partners to improve performance and profitability
• Identify opportunities for innovation & change to improve performance and profitability and create new business opportunities
• Keeping regular contact with our customers and discussing up and coming opportunities
• Strategically consider and plan the resourcing requirements of the department to provide an efficient and cost-effective delivery model for Corrigenda
• Keep abreast of the challenges faced by the project team in terms of seasonally varying workload
• Provide cover and escalation support for the team.
• Provide guidance on estimates changing margins to ensure a consistent workstream across the year.
• Undertake review meetings with direct reports and agree development areas and objectives
• Responsible for HR matters across the department, supporting direct reports to manage their teams
• Identify potential areas for training to enhance capability and offering.
• Provide coaching & role model to Project Managers and identify succession plans
• Promote the company culture and ensure motivation of staff.
• Maintain effective working relationships with other members of senior management and project team.
• Ensure effective & efficient control of resource across the team
Financial / Commercial:
• Financial responsibility for budgeting and delivery of circa £6m pa profit and & loss account including preparing month end reporting for Head of Finance (eg accruals)
• Delivering company profit expectations.
• Monthly reporting financial position and budget forecasts of business unit to board of directors along with any necessary corrective action to maintain profit expectations.
• Oversee profitability of jobs undertaken by Project Managers to ensure Gross Profit targets are achieved.
• Ensure purchase orders are raised in accordance with company policy
• Ensure supplier invoices are approved and processed for payment in a timely manner
H&S and Quality:
• Provide H&S leadership & compliance on all projects.
• Support H&S training and facilitate toolbox talks for staff
• Support accreditation audits
• Support change control process for project variations
• Support quality processes for Projects
• Carry out regular site visits to check on safety compliance on site and ensure any corrective action taken.
• Ensure company meet requirements of Principle Contractor under CDM regulations and review Construction Phase Health & Safety Plans prior to issue to clients.
• Ensure risk / method statements are produced and are suitable and sufficient for tasks minimising risks to engineers and end users.
• Ensure health and safety files / O&M manuals are produced and issued to the client at
• Support pre-quals and tenders
• Lead on collective peer review tender returns pre-submission
• Prepare technical submissions to accompany tender pricing documentation to ensure project delivery proposals clearly laid out and answered in accordance with client requirements
• Experience in a similar role
• Relevant safety related training (eg SMSTS or IOSH managing safely)
• Proven track record in delivering project works and leading teams
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Proven track record in achieving high levels of customer satisfaction
• Ability to work well on own or as part of team
• Self-starter with a positive, can-do attitude, the ability to work to tight deadlines and balance workload
• Ability to coach, delegate to and develop others
• Strong relationship building skills
• Proactive decision maker who can positively influence change
• Good time management and multi-tasking
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
• Ability to take ownership and lead a team
• IT literate
• Full driving licence / willingness to travel
• Pass DBS checks for working in schools
• Competitive salary
• Car or Car Allowance – to be discussed and agreed with successful candidate
• Discretionary annual company performance related bonus
• 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
• Employers Pension
• Employee Assistance Programme
• BUPA Cashplan